2014 Event Details
Date and Time
Date: May 17, 2014
Time: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Time: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- To provide students with resources and opportunities to develop leadership skills that will support them in successful career development in agricultural, natural resources and conservation disciplines
- To reinforce the need for leaders from diverse communities across multiple disciplines and at multiple levels
- To jump start the discussion amongst adults working with youth about how programs can connect to the personal and professional goals of the students they serve
The Urban Green Youth Summit is designed for the following participants:
- Young people interested in environmental issues or job opportunities
- Youth groups and school clubs who would like to showcase their work related to environmental science and conservation
- Community leaders who would like to connect the youth in their communities with resources for jobs, scholarships, education and leadership training
- Organizations looking to attract youth volunteers in conservation work
- Sustainability leaders looking to be inspired about how to include communities of color in current initiatives
Location and Transportation
The URBAANE Green Summit will take place at Chicago State University on the 4th Floor of the New Academic Library.
- Address: 9501 S. King Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60628
- Parking: $5 parking is available with limited free street parking
- By Public Transit: Quick access via CTA Red Line off 95th and the Dan Ryan Expressway OR Metra 95th St Station
Registration and Logistics
Advance registration is required. Please note the following:
- To ensure the greatest amount of interactive exchange, space for this program is limited to 75 student participants.
- The summit will host a maximum of 5 students and 2 adult leaders from each organization.
- The event is designed for both high school and college students.
- One designated adult leader must complete advance online registration for each organization.
- On-site registrations will not be accommodated.
- Lunch will be included for all registrants.
- Keynote Address by Marc Miller, Director of Illinois Department of Natural Resources
- Collaborative workshops and sessions for both youth and adults who work with youth
- Facilitated networking session for youth and adults
- And more!
Check back soon for finalized schedule. Tentative schedule is as follows:
- 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. -- Check-in
- 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. -- Large and small group work
- 12:00 p.m. - 12:30 p.m. -- Lunch
- 12:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. -- Large and small group work
- 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. -- Facilitated networking session (all students)
- 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. -- Closing session with adult leaders and interested youth leaders for white paper
Check back soon for bios of the URBAANE keynote speakers and presenters.